Councils says ‘handful of cases’ was expected and prepared for
Covid signs in Wandsworth schools.. Picture: Wandsworth Council
A “handful” of isolated cases of coronavirus have been reported in Wandsworth schools, according to a council statement issued this Wednesday (9 September).
However Wandsworth Council insists these were “expected and prepared for.”
It is not yet known how many schools have seen cases, or which schools are involved.
The council has stressed that COVID-19 symptoms in children are usually mild and cases amongst under-16s have been low since the start of the pandemic.
The borough’s public health team is keeping “a close eye on the situation now that most of the borough’s school children have returned to the classroom.”
Cllr Melanie Hampton, cabinet member for adult social care and health, reassured parents that there was “no evidence of any outbreaks so far in our schools, and COVID-19 rates among this age group are stable.”
She added, “We would expect to hear of isolated cases and these are being swiftly dealt with.”
Cllr Will Sweet, the cabinet member for education and children’s services said, “We are in constant contact with schools and are working closely with them to ensure children are safe.
“The government, in consultation with Public Health England, has issued comprehensive guidance for schools to follow in the event of cases being identified and this may require children to self-isolate for a period of time whilst accessing remote learning”.
Schools have introduced measures such as class bubbles, one-way systems, staggered lunchtimes and hand sanitiser stations to protect staff and students.
The council said that when schools know someone has tested positive for coronavirus they will work with the local health protection on the actions they need to take.
Parents are reminded not to send their children to school if they display the following symptoms:
Most people with coronavirus have at least one of these symptoms.
Sian Bayley - Local Democracy Reporter
September 10, 2020